Monday, March 29, 2010

The Fast and the Furious- Indian Cooking

 Welcome to the Indian cooking project!


2 weeks. Strictly vegetarian indian. Bring it on.


Indian Cooking is something that I've been wanting to master for a couple years; ever since my trip to Provo's Bombay House and India Palace (Mmmmm.....) But I've lacked the ingredients and will power to undertake such a project. But this past weekend I went to the Indian food store in Provo and bought myself an indian spice collection (with the help of a cook from Bombay House). So I just finished my first authentic indian cooking experience making Chole Palak (Spinach and Chickpea dish) and here is what I've learned.
  •  Have everything prepared. I'm used to just chopping and throwing things in as I go, not in indian cooking. It works on a very specific timetable (cumin seeds popping in oil! Ahhh! hurry add the spinach!)
  • You NEED a spice grinder. I usually like my spices a little chunky. Not in indian food; their too strong and distinctive. I just about fell over when I bit into a whole coriander seed and clove at the same time.
Luckily it still tasted yummy! Here is the recipe adapted from Majala's Kitchen 

Ingredients:
  • 1 15oz can of chickpea (chole, garbanzo)
  • 3 cups finely chopped spinach (palak)
  • 2 medium tomatoes (I used a can of chopped tomatoes)
  • 1/2″piece ginger (adrak)
  • 1 green chili
  • 3 tablespoon oil
  • dash of onion powder
  • dash of garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
  • 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper adjust to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Method:
  1. Drain the liquid out of the chickpeas and rinse the chick peas well.
  2. Blend the tomatoes, green chilies, and ginger to make a puree.
  3. Heat the oil in a saucepan. 
  4. Add the onion and garlic and cumin seeds.
  5. After the cumin seeds crack, add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder and cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
  6. Tomato mixture will start leaving the oil and will reduce to about half in quantity.
  7. Add spinach, and salt and one half cup of water and let it cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat covered.
  8. Add the chickpeas and mash them lightly with a spatula so they soften Note: add more water as needed to keep the gravy consistency to your liking, and let it cook on low heat for 7 to 8 minutes.
  9. Add the garam masala and let it cook for another minute.
    So after I find a spice grinder tonight I'll continue with my indian adventure.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment